Direct Response Television, known as DRTV, is one of the most effective types of media buying. An infomercial media buy is less expensive and can produce better results than a traditional media buy. But before you begin, make sure your website is ready for it is a powerful tool to tie-in with your DRTV marketing campaign. Include your website address to drive targeted traffic to your offer. Your website will fill in the “rest of the story”, will promote your 800 number to call center … and can even sell product directly over the internet.
The Media Mix has a different approach to buying direct response short-form commercial time. And we’ve been very successful with it. We’ve put our buys up against traditional DR buys time after time and produced 30 – 300% better results!
If I gave you the most important tip in one word, it would be: TEST!
But we have more Media Buying Tips for Direct Response:
- Build a successful model by testing; then expand.
- Launch your website … it’s a great testing ground
- Copy can be quickly modified
- Test different price points
- Test most responsive offers
- Optimize your website with solid SEO
- Begin testing efficiency of media in spot television markets; smaller cable networks and national syndicated programming offerings.
- Research Cost Per Thousand Efficiencies:
- audience size
- demographic makeup
- VPH (viewers per household)
- Choose media markets that are:
– efficient against your target demographic
– smaller and less expensive
– represent your national market
– geographically diverse
- Set goals for maximum ROI: cost per M, cost per lead, cost per sale
- Lay a base of paid position programming in carefully selected programs (by time period) to “anchor” the buy
- Buy efficient ROS schedules to fill in and work with the stations to avoid clearance problems
- Build opportunistic funds into your budget for flexibility to act quickly on “a great deal” – timing is everything
- Keep your finger on the pulse of direct response results
- Track and Analyze Log Times
- Require Daily Call Center Reports
- Test at each point in the process.
- Drive targeted traffic to your website with DRTV.
- Set up control systems and procedures.
- Shore up areas that need attention early.
For more detailed information on Direct Response Media Buying Tips, see: http://themediamix.com/media-marketing-articles/dr-tv-media-buying.html
We frequently get calls for direct response media buying. The TV commercial has been produced or is in final stages – the client is ready to buy air time! When we ask for the website url often we hear “it’s in development, it will be ready in a few weeks.” Sad to hear … these folks are missing a great opportunity. It should be the FIRST step in the direct marketing process … not an afterthought!
Blog Posts & Articles may be reprinted with full By-Line.